Analysis Essay Assignment Write an essay in which you analyze the theme of war in A Farewell to Arms. The essay should contain an introduction, body, and conclusion, be 1-2 pages in length, typed, and use MLA format. Cite the source to avoid plagiarism. Please save your essay as a Word document and submit as an attachment to be graded. • Analysis is not summary. Do not summarize the story; your audience already knows the story. Analysis is the practice of looking closely at small parts to see how they affect the whole. What is the main message Hemingway is relaying in this story? • Analyze the impact of the author’s choices, discussing how these decisions affect the story’s meaning. • Organize your ideas so that each new idea builds on the one it follows to create a unified whole. Take notes on its theme of war, characters, setting, plot, and so on. Be sure the notes include looking beyond the surface to the deeper meaning the author is trying to relay. Analysis also looks at why the meaning is important.
Chapter 27 – New Frontiers, 1960-68 Complete ANY/ONLY 10 of the following 13 questions from this chapter
1. In what respects were the 1960s markedly different from the 1950s in US society?
2. What was meant by the term “New Frontier”? Explain in detail.
3. What were among the most notable characteristics of John F. Kennedy and his administration
4. Explain US involvement in Cuba in the 1960s. Discuss the “Bay of Pigs” and the “Cuban Missile Crisis” in your answer.
5. Discuss the nature of growing US involvement in South Vietnam during the Kennedy administration.
6. Describe the key strategies and achievements of the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.
7. Through what process was integration achieved in schools and public places?
8. Explain the origins and nature of the Black Power movement
9. Provide an overview of Lyndon Johnson’s “war on poverty”. In what respects did it succeed/fai
10. Describe the key components of Johnson’s “Great Society”.
11. How/why did the US deepen its military involvement in the Vietnam War? Reference “containment in your answer.
12. What impact did the Vietnam War have on the Johnson administration and its domestic programs/agenda?
13. What factors facilitated Richard Nixon being elected president in 1968?
14. Provide several examples of why 1968 is often characterized as a traumatic year in US history.
Chapter 28 – Rebellion & Reaction, the 60s and 70s Complete ANY/ONLY 10 of the following 15 questions from this chapter)
1. What were the origins and key characteristics of the “youth revolt”?
2. Distinguish between the “new left”, “old left” and the SDS
3. Provide a brief overview of the upsurge in anti-war protests and violence during the era
4. What was the “counterculture” movement and how was it distinct from other movements of the 1960s-70s?
5. What was characteristic of the womens’ movement during the era?
6. Provide an overview of the Hispanic rights movement—reference the UFW and Cesar Chavez in your answer
7. How did the Native American movement evolve in the era? Refer to “red power” and the Wounded Knee stand in your answer.
8. What were the “Stonewall Riots” and how were they a catalyst for LGBT rights/activism?
9. Provide an overview of the revival of conservatism.
10. Briefly describe Nixon’s domestic and civil rights agendas.
11. Discuss the economic problems facing the Nixon administration—use/explain the term “stagnation” in your answer
12. How/why did Nixon change the US military strategy in Vietnam? Use/explain the term “Vietnamization”.
13. Summarize the world order that evolved after the Vietnam War via Nixon’s foreign policy
14. Explain how the Watergate scandal unfolded and assess its political significance.
15-What types of legislation did Congress pass to limit presidential authority in the wake of Watergate/Nixon?
Short Writing assignment #2 Wuthering Heights chapters 10-17
Write a short, 2-page paper (double-spaced) answering *one* of the questions below. As a reminder, the short assignments are graded on a √, √+, √- scale – if you make a serious effort and write 2 double-spaced pages you will receive full credit (√). The idea here is that you can try things out and think ideas through in writing, the point is not to get it “right.” The assignment is due on Blackboard Tuesday, November 16 by 5pm. You can re-use a 250-300 word excerpt of your assignment for the Tuesday-Wedensday discussion board post. (All page numbers below are for the Norton Critical edition.)
1) Heathcliff’s return. About half a year after Edgar and Catherine marry, Heathcliff returns and stays with Hindley at Wuthering Heights. How does his return affect the other characters? (see chapter 10)
2) Heathcliff’s revenge. How does Heathcliff plan to take revenge after his return? See in particular ch. 10, 83-85 and ch. 11, p.88-89.
2) Catherine’s delirium. What triggers the mental breakdown and illness that leads to Catherine’s death? What does she tell Ellen Dean (Nelly) in her delirium and what can we deduce from her monologue about the effects married life at Thrushcross Grange has had on her sense of self? See in particular ch. 12, p.95-99.
3) Heathcliff’s view of Catherine’s life at Thrushcross Grange. See ch.14, p.120. How does Heathcliff describe his perspective of Catherine’s life with Edgar? How does it compare to Isabella’s life with him at Wuthering Heights?
4) Catherine’s death and her final meeting with Heathcliff. What do the two reveal about each other in their final conversation? see ch.15, p.124-128
5) Locks of hair. Why are both Heathcliff and Nelly concerned about locks of hair while Catherine’s dead body is still on view before her funeral? see ch.16
6) Catherine gives birth to a daughter before she dies; Isabella gives birth to a son with whom she flees to London; Hareton, Hindley’s son still lives at Wuthering Heights. What roles will these children play in the next generation? See in particular ch. 17.
2 paragraphs. 2 different sources.
Each paragraph will have on source each. The sources can not be 5 years or older. So nothing before 2016.
Each paragraph will be separate from the other, in other words they will not go along with each other. Each one should talk about the use of predictive models along with their strengths and weaknesses.
You have selected a question that you want to explore or a belief about intimate relationships. In this paper you will answer the question or prove/debunk the belief by using information from at least one scholarly article and one pop culture internet source . You can also refer to chapters in you textbook. Please cite your references. Papers with no references will be returned without a grade.
The paper should be 2-3 pages in length.
Your ENGL 112 paper is not a reaction paper — don’t use it to express your personal opinion about a reading, to criticize or praise it. Instead, it should demonstrate your understanding of the reading on its own terms, in that century’s context — the message the author was trying to convey to its original audience i.e. issues friendship, responses to the plague, selfishness, etc. (Whether or not you agree with the author is irrelevant to this assignment.).
2) Your ENGL 112 paper is also not a research paper. DO NOT CITE ANY SECONDARY SOURCES. You can — and should — mention background information that is relevant to your argument, but there is no need to provide documentation for information presented in lectures or class materials. The only citations in your essay should be quotations from the literary work(s) you are analyzing.
3) Your ENGL 112 paper is an EXERCISE designed to access your analytic writing skills. It is not the place to try to dazzle me with something new and original. It’s hard enough (and perfectly legitimate) simply to demonstrate your grasp of an interpretation presented in class. Concentrate on constructing a strong logical argument based upon close reading (analysis of specific passages in the text). Your paper should demonstrate your ability to
understand the work of your choice in its own context, on its own terms
construct a logical argument (i.e. paragraph order should be carefully thought out)
support that argument with well-chosen textual passages
write clear, correct prose which conforms to good Standard English
Be sure that the essay includes a title is in MLA format and a clearly written thesis statement
This should be a research essay that clearly reflects / references one or more of the texts, concepts, and / or issues we have been studying this semester. You are free, however, to bring these concepts and issues to texts other than those we have been studying. For example, in your coursework as an English Major you may have become interested in a particular period, a particular writer or group of writers, and / or a particular subfield within literary study—for example, African American literature, Latinx literature, Native American / indigenous literatures. You may have become interested in a particular approach to the analysis of literary texts—for example, law and literature, Feminism, Post-Colonialism, Ecocriticism. Your Preliminary Proposal should offer a clear description of your specific [not general] topic and should make a clear connection to our work on survivance and related concepts this semester. You must get my approval to proceed from the Proposal to the final product. See the separate Guidelines for the Preliminary Proposal. Some Potential General Topics A. A comparative analysis of three texts by Native American authors in which you provide an extensive definition of “survivance” and go on to examine the similarities and differences regarding the manifestation of that concept in your chosen texts. B. A comparative analysis of the manifestation of survivance in three texts that were not written by Native American authors. Here you would have to adapt and / or abstract from the standard definitions of survivance to address the particular injustices, aspects of cultural genocide, and other obstacles faced by the chosen authors. C. A comparative analysis of the manifestation of survivance in three texts by authors of different ethnic and racial backgrounds (Native American, African American, Latinx, Asian American, …). Here you would have to adapt and / or abstract from the standard definitions of survivance to address the particular injustices, aspects of cultural genocide, and other obstacles faced by the chosen authors. D. Museum representations of Native American culture in the context of survivance. E. Form and Content: The manifestation of survivance through the purposeful mixture of genres (for example, poetry and prose) in three texts. F. Master Tropes: The use of metaphor or irony as a tool for survivance in three texts. General Requirements Due Dates: Your Preliminary Proposal is due 11/20/21— Your Final Draft is due 12/17/21 Length: Minimum = 2000 words Maximum = 2500 words Secondary Sources: Minimum} 1 book (edited or single-authored) published after 2000 + 5 journal articles and / or book chapters (peer reviewed) Sources on our syllabus do not count toward these minimums.
For this assignment, you will be peer reviewing someone else’s critical analysis and providing constructive feedback. Please score the critical analysis you are reviewing using the rubric below and provide written comments on at least two things you liked, two things you felt could be improved, and one thing that confused you or you still had questions about.
Peer reviews in Canvas can get confusing! Please comment on the assignment you were assigned for peer review. Then, please also submit your review to this assignment as a Text or Word file so I can easily see it and grade it. Be sure to include your rubric scores for the assignment you reviewed. If you followed the instructions above and completed your peer review on time, you will receive full credit for this assignment.
“Write an essay (with introduction and conclusion) on the suggested topic.
Your introduction should include the thesis statement – main idea of the paper (here is more detailed explanation – https://essayshark.com/blog/how-to-write-a-thesis-statement-to-make-it-clear/). Don’t include any new information in the conclusion. It should restate the thesis statement of the paper.
Support your ideas with relevant arguments and examples (in-text citations). List 2-3 sources in the references. Make sure you stick to a required formatting style. Get benefits of these sources citationmachine.net and easybib.com.
MLA format – https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/ https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/mla_style/mla_formatting_and_style_guide/mla_in_text_citations_the_basics.html”
Activity: A Policy You Would Change
This brief activity will serve as preparation for your last assignment, which is due next week.
If you could change any U.S. domestic policy today, what would it be? For this activity, choose a policy you would like to change, submit a brief explanation of the policy you would like to change, and identify three references to support this policy change. This is the same policy you will use to write your Final Reflection assignment (due next week).
Your policy choice will need to be approved by your instructor before you begin your Final Reflection assignment. Approval will be provided through your rubric score for this activity, after it has been submitted. If your policy and/or references are not approved you will need to read the instructor feedback and provide an updated policy and/or references to be approved before submitting your final assignment.
Here are just a few examples of domestic public policies to choose from:
After selecting a policy you would change, identify references to support the policy change. Using skills you have learned previously in the course, search for articles from reputable sources that support your views, illustrate the severity or urgency of the need for change, discuss current events that make you think about the seriousness of the issue, etc. Remember to review the news sources provided earlier in the course and ensure any references selected outside of that list are reliable.
For your submission, create a Word document with your chosen policy and provide one short paragraph explaining why that is a policy you would like to change. Also include three references to support your policy change. This does not need to be formatted in SWS but will need to be formatted that way for the final assignment.
Library resources on politics: Get free access to Newspapers and Magazines for articles on political science topics
and current events here in the Strayer Library: Scroll down to see selected newspapers: https://strayer.libguides.com/politicalscience
Information on research, writing formatting, SWS style, sample formatted paper, and a citation generator here: https://library.strayer.edu/sws
SAMPLE WEEK 9 ACTIVITY POL110.docx