There is much information out there on-line and in books about Ruth
Asawa and artists, designers and architects of Japanese descent (actually, if we had
all the time in the world, I would love to study with you all cultures!!).
Many years ago, I had the great privilege of meeting and working with
Ruth Asawa as we worked in the SF/Bay Area… I had a chance to help
install her sculptures in the late 1990s when I worked in art galleries!!
What I would like for you to think about and respond to is here (although
you may absolutely contribute your other insights, of course):
1) How did living in the US (during the second World War), racism,
discrimination somehow influence and/or inform artists during that
difficult time in American history?
2) Why, in your view or opinion, is Ruth Asawa’s work “multiracial”/”
multi-racial” in spirit? What, in your view, contributed to the
outcome of “diversity”, if you will, in her work? How, specifically or
broadly, did Japanese culture, customs and/or history influence the
outcome of their designs (in sculpture, painting, furniture, and/or
architecture)? (By the way, I absolutely love Isamu Noguchi’s work)
3) What was your personal overall impression of this/these particular
type(s) of 3-dimensional artworks, whether it is sculpture and/or
architectural structures? Please try to identify at least one (or more)
I would like you to select a famous work of art. It can be from our class discussions, or from your textbook, or online. The artwork can be any form of visual art, including paintings, drawing, prints, sculpture, even architecture. Look closely at the image, and take note of:
The art elements:
shapes or mass
The principles of design:
unity and variety
emphasis and subordination
scale and proportion
With objects you can find around your home, re-create the artwork by capturing as many of the art elements and principles of design you are able. Take a photo of your creation. Write a paragraph (no word minimum or maximum) telling me about your re-creation, and briefly explaining some of the art elements and principles of design you were able to use in your re-creation.
See this site for ideas:
Art history TikTok:
Create you own art inspired TikTok style video. You can talk about one artist, or one artwork, or a variety of artists and artworks. It is entirely up to you. Your TikTok, however, should focus on an idea, or artists, or artworks that we have seen in class. Your TikTok should be less than a minute long.
You can either post it on TikTok (or any other social media) and submit the url on canvas, or you can upload the actual video on canvas. You do not need to actually post your video on any form of social media if it makes you uncomfortable.
See the following for ideas:
https://www.tiktok.com/@_theiconoclass/video/6936281789195504897?_d=secCgYIASAHKAESPgo8ujNJotnBcfAxQL5fP8sENHVukUE7aImlDzERzHjkkic%2Bk%2BMcZXmD%2FDsBzYMKnnzypbzIVTRfCKQUZIfJGgA%3D&enable_clips=1&language=en&preview_pb=0&sec_user_id=MS4wLjABAAAA2252y9wl7lSEION16QgKYTrBRr9Np0b7JDDgiY7bUJ9_nfuxkZPKoPPBjNIuKk9i&share_app_id=1233&share_item_id=6936281789195504897&share_link_id=64D908C5-EBD7-4FDB-9ED0-88C054F7BB7E&source=h5_m×tamp=1635397596&tt_from=sms&u_code=db8m31fd021jmg&user_id=6802072970002711558&utm_campaign=client_share&utm_medium=ios&utm_source=sms&_r=1 (Links to an external site.)
Essay prompts are attached in additional materials.
Please write a maximum of 200 words for each question only. Label the writing with each question number.
Please only use the resources provided, no additional resources will be needed
Citations are needed.
Please cite your work with citation in this style—(Hardin 1995-23)—that includes the author, year of publication and page number, in that order, and locate that directly on your text at the end of that sentence. Use this system instead of footnotes to cite your text.
In our lecture this week, we learn about the merger of pop art and fashion in the ‘50’s and we learn how fashion is one of the most important components of popular culture around the world.
Please read the article here, Pop Art: How the Most Influential Art Movement in Contemporary Culture Changed Fashion Forever (Links to an external site.), and share your thoughts as you answer the following questions:
1. We read in the article that “Pop Art continues to be the most referenced art movement in fashion.” Why do you think this is so? Please be detailed in your response.
2. “Even today, decades after its revolution, there are no signs of Pop Art’s self-referencing streak ending, with massive brands like Nike and Vans incorporating sketches from Roy Lichtenstein in their sneakers and runners.” Who is the target customer for this product and how has pop art evolved to continue to reach a broad consumer base?
3. Find a favorite fashion product inspired by pop art. Discuss the designer/manufacturer relationship and the target customer and share pictures, please.
Comments from Customer
(This course name is Typography class) I have attached the instruction& sources needed for this writing. I have attached my unfinished project process book and project sheet for reference. (Please read carefully.) (+And to give an example of a design rationale, I have attached my design rationale from a previous project.) Examples of rationales : https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_expograph_by_brand_brothers.php https://design.studio/work/onefootball https://www.chendesign.com/portfolio/alaffia/ https://dnco.com/work/pier-70
Genogram: Three areas of concern
1. On a separate page (typed!) indicate 3 areas of concern based on the genogram.
Three areas of concern based on my genogram are Hypertension, Obesity, and Anemia.
Hypertension: My grandmother, mother, aunt, and 2 brothers
Obesity: My grandmother, mother, my eldest sister, and her 2 daughters, my brother, and 1 of his sons.
Anemia: My mother, my aunt, me and my sisters, my eldest sisters 2 daughters.
2. Support these areas of concern with scholarly sources indicating the significance of family relationships (e.g. genetics or environment).
3. Do not describe the pathophysiology of any disease. Just scholarly sources for any genetic or environmental connection, no scholarly sources to explain or describe the patho of the disease.
4. Each of the 3 areas discussed should have a reference about that specific disease entity or situation. Therefore, at least 3 references are unique to each disease.
A). Choose a photographer – Javier Manzano
B). Answer the following questions in order. Your answers must be in paragraph format. A paragraph is more than 2 sentences. A paragraph is usually between 3 and 5 sentences.
1). Introduce the photographer and their background. Provide condition(s) of the time period.
2). Describe the influences/impact the photographer received/gave to the art world .
4). Embed 2 images of the photographer’s work.
5). Compare and contrast the two images in formal elements (angles, foreground, background, color, light, etc.), as well as symbolic imagery (do you see any symbols, meanings in the setting, the objects, people, poses etc.
Your assignment is to do the following in an essay:
1. Explain the major modernist art critical and theoretical positions.
(See Term Paper Readings Part 1)
2. Explain the theories of representation that underlie much of the practice in contemporary art history, criticism, and theory: semiotics (Saussure and Barthes), deconstruction (Derrida), simulation (Baudrillard), and discourse analysis (Foucault). (See Term Paper Readings Part 2)
3. a). Explain the effects the theories in Part II have had on recent practices of art history, art criticism, museology, visual culture studies, institutional criticism, and other related artistic practices.
b). Explain the topics, aims, theories, and strategies of some recent artists, theorists, or historians/critics concerned with gender and gendered identity (second-generation feminism, performativity and masquerade).
c). Explain the topics, aims, theories, and strategies of some recent artists, theorists,
and historians/critics concerned with ethnicity, cultural identity and colonialism. (See Term Paper Readings Part 3)
4. Explain the ideas Morgan presented in his essay assigned for class. Do these ideas agree or disagree with any of the recent theories in the class? Do these ideas align with modernist art theory? Has art ended? Has a kind of art ended? Explain your answers. (See Term Paper Readings Part 4)
5. Choose ONE item of visual culture (a single still image or object such as a painting, a piece of architecture, a still from a movie, a tattoo, whatever) and use it in your discussion in parts 2 and 3 above. Be sure to integrate the chosen item into your discussion by using the ideas you learned in this course to discuss it. Paste the image
into the text.
IMPORTANT: This paper must interrelate all the parts of the assignment to one another, constantly explaining how each part of this assignment (each part of the course) relates to
other parts. Remember this paper is not merely a summary of the readings, but a synthesis of the ideas within the readings.
4 page, 12 size font, double spaced essay analyzing The Exorcist,1974 based on this statement: “the true subject of the horror genre is the struggle for recognition of all that our civilization represses and oppresses” Robin Wood,1985
robin woods “an introduction to the american horror film” must be 1 of the 3 sources.
other sources cannot be from wikipedia, imdb or rotten tomatoes etc.
1.Outline the basic history of the event(s). You can use a timeline or write it out.
2.Briefly describe the two opposing religious basic beliefs.
3.How did these different beliefs, values and attitudes of these cultures add to the oppression and conflict?
4.How did the outcome of the conflict influence modern American ideas, beliefs and values?
5.Opinion – why do you think religion played such a major role in these conflicts?
[Answer these questions separately in a paragraph, please.]